Claim: Starlink operations have been discontinued in Sri Lanka.
Fact: Starlink operations have not been discontinued, but have been put on hold over consensus on the terms of data interception by the state. According to the TRCSL and Ministers Nalinda Jayatissa and Eranga Weeraratne, Starlink will be operational in April as planned.
In August 2024, Elon Musk’s internet service provider Starlink was given the license to operate in Sri Lanka by the Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka (TRCSL). However, several social media users have recently been sharing posts suggesting that Starlink operations have been discontinued.


Posts sharing the claim can be found here, here, and here.
Fact Check/Verification
We first conducted a keyword search for “Starlink” and “Sri Lanka” and came across mainstream media reports highlighting the TRCSL’s approval process for Starlink. In June 2024, preliminary approval was granted for Starlink to provide satellite internet services in Sri Lanka. One such report by EconomyNext can be found here.
In August 2024, Starlink was issued the license after a meeting between the then-President Ranil Wickremesinghe and Elon Musk. “The TRCSL has issued a Telecommunications Service Provider License under Section 17B of the Sri Lanka Telecommunications Act No. 25 of 1991 as amended, to Starlink Lanka (Private) Limited for the provision of Satellite Broadband Services in Sri Lanka,” TRCSL said in a statement.

In March 2025, it was widely reported that the beginning of Starlink operations had been put on hold. Such reports can be found here and here:
The Deputy Minister of Information Technology Eranga Weeraratne says in these reports, “There may be instances in which Starlink satellite communication services are being used for any unlawful act by some individuals. Then, the Sri Lankan security apparatus should have the right to obtain data related to such communication for legal action.” His statement makes it clear that the operations have been put on hold and not entirely dropped.
He further said that the Defence Ministry, TRCSL, and Starlink are in talks to address the issue of national security during Starlink’s operations in Sri Lanka. He added that services would be operational after Starlink ensures the right to legal interception of data or access to communication details in the event of a legal requirement.
Soon after, on 26 March, 2025 Minister Nalinda Jayatissa made a statement saying that the government is merely considering provisions for possible criminal activity and threats to national security that could happen via Starlink and assured that the service will be available from April.
“The government has a duty to oversee and ensure the integrity of any service, regardless of the provider. There are no outstanding issues, and the service will be available from April,” he said.
In a statement to the media, the Director General of the TRCSL also confirmed the same, saying “I can say with responsibility that the service provided by that company will not be stopped. The service is scheduled to be available in our country by April…They provide a dashboard to properly regulate the service they offer, to ensure that the required service is being delivered correctly to the customers, and to regulate the country’s national security. Through this, we can regulate both issues effectively.”
We also checked the Starlink website and found that anyone from Sri Lanka who wishes to purchase the service can still do so.

Conclusion
Starlink operations have not been discontinued, but have been put on hold over consensus on the terms of data interception by the state. The minister has confirmed that the services will become operational in April.
Result: Missing Context
Our Sources
News report titled ‘Sri Lanka grants preliminary approval for Starlink: State Minister’ on EconomyNext, published on June 24, 2024
Statement issued by the TRCSL on August 13, 2024
News report titled ‘Starlink on hold until national security concerns are addressed’ on DailyMirror, published on March 24, 2025
News report titled ‘Starlink Will Be Available In Sri Lanka From April’ on NewsFirst LK, published on March 26, 2025
News report titled ‘TRCSL denies suspension of ‘Starlink’ satellite broadband service’ on AdaDerana LK, published on March 26, 2025
The Starlink website
If you would like us to fact-check a claim, give feedback or lodge a complaint, email us at [email protected]. You can also visit the Contact Us page and fill out the form.